New Tutoring Hub Opens In Library

David Mosca

As of the Spring 2015 semester, students seeking help with a homework assignment or improving with a certain subject, can head to NJCU’s new Tutoring Hub.

The new tutoring center, a collaborative effort among NJCU’s Academic and Student Affairs departments, consolidated some of the prior centers including the Center for Student Success and ESL department tutoring. The Hub is located on the first floor of the newly renovated Guarini Library.

“Students are encouraged to visit The Hub and learn of its offerings,” said John Blicharz, the Hub’s coordinator who says the center plans to launch a Facebook, Twitter and Instagram soon. “It is not only a tutoring center but also a hub where students who seek help can be referred to the proper departments.”

The tutoring center will offer services for writing, mathematics, ESL, statistics for sociology, as well as sciences including biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, genetics, anatomy and physiology, GIS (Geographic Information Systems), and computer science.

“(This) will be more convenient because if you have tutoring for more than one class, you can stay in one spot and not have to move around,” said Damian Marzan.

The Hub will also offer academic workshops during the semester for writing research papers, learning MLA and APA styles, and mathematics.

“With all of it being in one spot rather than having to explore the campus, I think it would be a big difference,” said Alexis Johnson, a sophomore studying photography.

Preparations for the Hub have been in the works for some time. Before the start of the Spring 2015 semester, faculty conducted a training program in which 33 tutors became CRLA (College Reading and Learning Association) Level 1 certified. In addition to The Hub, a number of tutoring options still exist on campus including the writing center and math tutoring in Karnoutsos Hall.

When asked what he enjoys about tutoring, Mike Reigle, 27, who began tutoring mathematics last semester said, “What I like most about tutoring is seeing the moment of discovery in another student, when they realize some fact they never knew existed. I think tutoring is a great thing to do on campus, especially for people in the education major.”