See Mail?

Javier Sosa

My first semester or two at NJCU was the only time I really used the school email. At

the time, I was willing and excited to use it. (There is something about @njcu.edu that sounds

professional and sophisticated).

Conversely, after a ten mile commute, there is nothing I hated more than reaching my

class to see a notice of cancellation. Why did I not receive an email for that? Many teachers

certainly utilize the NJCU email, but after dealing with over a handful of professors that do not, I

decided to use my personal email only.

After speaking with several classmates, I discovered my position on the email system

is rather popular. Most students simply don’t check their NJCU emails, which is far from the

smartest approach. A vast amount of my peers along with myself have their NJCU emails

forwarded to their personal emails. Great idea. Furthermore, a majority of us still put up filters to

avoid the bombardment of messages that are not from our professors.

After speaking with David Downes, NJCU English major and future journalist, I

discovered that he only uses his NJCU email because many teachers make it a requirement.

Moreover, I concur with his main complaint, “Our email system doesn’t work well on mobiles

and it’s quite frustrating.” Most students are constantly on the go. Without convenient mobile

access, it is very difficult to stay up to date with any announcements at all.

I’m sure many teachers are fed up with students not checking their school emails and

decided to discontinue using the email system for the students’ benefit. It is problematic and

time consuming for professors to collect everyone’s personal email at the start of the semester.

Students must recognize that we have four to six professors who have 100 plus students they

teach in other classes at different institutions.

Professor Chadwick is an example of a professor who vigorously emphasizes the

importance of students adapting to the NJCU email system. “On Tuesday (2/17) there was

a delayed opening and I sent emails to my students explaining that I won’t make it to my

11o’clock class because I was snowed in. Later that day, I ran into three of my students who

asked me ‘What happened this morning, professor?’ and I told them if they checked their emails

they would know.”

Amongst class cancelations, Chadwick also alerts his students about books that are found

at cheaper prices, saving us time and money when we employ the NJCU email at our discretion.

Admittedly, some of the information sent to our emails can be useful: public safety,

workshops and tutoring, music and theatre, and professor announcements. However, students

haven’t the time to deal with the daily barrage of NJCU emails. We receive anywhere from eight

to fifteen emails a day.

Perhaps you don’t check your inbox for a week or so. Good luck spending time on 100

emails in between classes, homework assignments, jobs, family, and personal email only to be

reminded about something we read twelve times on flyers around campus.

Having said that, I implore you to use filters, if you agree that many of the emails you

receive are irrelevant to you, and stay in touch with your professors at their convenience. They

deserve it.