Goodbye from: The Graduating Gothic Times Staff

Crystal Davis

Dear NJCU Family,

You’ll really never know a person until you actually get a chance to work side by side

with them. The time and effort it takes into putting NJCU’s very own student-run paper is a

tedious one, but it is well worth it. There is a momentum that builds from the start of a semester

and eventually to its end, in this case from the start of a year to its finale. Most people who pick

up newest The Gothic Times issues don’t really know the entirety of the process that it goes out

to become what it is when they are holding it.

While many of us are not Journalism majors we are passionate about what we have done

and the success we have gotten in this past year, here is how we would like to say adieu:

David Bermudez

Production Manager and Graphic Design major: “My experience with The Gothic Times

has been great. Everyone at The Gothic Times is very friendly even though most never saw me. I

enjoyed working with everyone and grateful to be given this opportunity to design for The

Gothic Times. Never give up. I’ve had a tough semester and know that feeling. Just remember

that hard work pays off.”

Grace Duarte

Web Editor and Graphic Design major: “It has been hectic but awesome. I cherish the

experience of having the chance to improve our newspaper even if just a little bit. I think we

have all done our best to find new, enticing content for our readers, and it is harder than it seems

from the outside.  Whatever you do, enjoy what you’re doing. Find the joy in the mundane

things; otherwise you are just wasting time.

Dakota Santiago

Photography Editor and Photography major: “It’s been pretty awesome witnessing the

transition from the paper that used to be put together by a third-party company to one that is

totally student done. The staff in the end though is what made my three years as a photographer

memorable. It never stopped being a fun organization to work out of. That is what I’ll always

remember about The Gothic Times. I once pulled up to a four alarm fire on Grant St. and the

chief of the JCFD told reporters not to photograph or record out of respect for the families.

That’s when it dawned on me. Four or five people died and I’m here. It was the first time I pulled

up on a fire that had fatalities. This was reality. Not something that should be swept under the

covers.”

Diana Hernandez

Managing Editor, Features Editor, and Media and Journalism major: “My experience

with The Gothic Times has taught me skills I would have never learned in a classroom. I have

made lifelong friends that share the same interests I do. It gave me opportunities that I probably

would have never gotten on my own. The best part of The Gothic Times is that there is room for

growth if you work hard. This is why I encourage all students of any major to join The Gothic

Times.”

Caitlin Mota

Sports Editor and Journalism major: “My experience at The Gothic Times has been a

rollercoaster, but for the most part it’s been an incredible experience. It teaches leadership,

responsibility, and the importance of having a support system, a support system that isn’t going

to end with the semester. Keep working hard, even when it seems like there isn’t a light at the

end of the tunnel. It’s the simple things that are most beautiful in life. It’s spending time with the

people who make you a better person, enjoying the outdoors, and find new things that make you

happy.”

Steven Rodas

News Editor and Journalism major: “I grew both as a writer and a person while working

for The Gothic Times. As the news editor, I spoke to people from every department throughout

my coverage and can honestly say I gained a unique perspective of our campus. For students still

attending NJCU I would say that in the same way I look at The Gothic Times as a newspaper and

not just simply a student newspaper, students should feel that their voices matter. The power of

words and where they can take you.”

Elizabeth Sabatini

Lifestyle Editor and Journalism major: “My experience at The Gothic Times has been a

great one. I remember hanging out in GSUB one day during my freshman year, and one of the

former editors approached me for recruiting. From that day, I wrote on and off for the paper and

was asked in May 2014 to step in as lifestyle editor. I am thankful for the GT staff for letting me

gain some wonderful experience I can put on my resume for years to come. Hang in there, and

talk to the right people.”

Vanessa Vargas

Arts and Entertainment Editor and Psychology major: “I found that I was welcomed onto

The Gothic Times staff with open arms. My fears were swiftly quelled. Having a passion for

music and the arts, becoming the A&E editor has been extremely fulfilling. I have solidified

what I am sure to be lasting relationships with my fellow editors and writers. Don’t give up on

something you’re passionate about. You never know what doors will be open to you and where

those roads will lead! The most beautiful thing in life is the ability to make somebody smile

without sacrificing your true self. I strive to make someone smile each day, no matter how brief

that moment of joy is.

Crystal Davis

Editor-in-Chief and Journalism major: “As a leader, your job is to make sure that all is

well when everything is said and done. Working for The Gothic Times has made me grow as an

editor, an individual, and a writer. While many things have been unpredictable at The Gothic

Times they have been enjoyable. The Gothic Times staff is more than just a set of editors to me;

they are the newest addition to my family. Making your way through college may be a tedious

endeavor but you should make it a priority to become a part of something wonderful, whatever

that may be. We were given minds and hands to craft and create; color by color, page for page,

cover to cover, we can spread happiness and sadness into the world.”

Graduating in-style.

Much love,

The Gothic Times Family, 2014-2015