International Opportunities

The Fulbright Awards and NJCU

International Opportunities

The prestigious Fulbright grant offers full funding for student to study, research or teach English in more than 100 countries. On Monday, April 18, a program representative from the Fulbright program will be on campus for a presentation on these awards. The event starts at 10:30 a.m. in GSU, 129. Refreshments will be served.

Some nine students from NJCU have received Fulbright awards to places as diverse as Turkey, South Korea, Brazil, Colombia, Czech Republic, Indonesia, Taiwan, Laos, and Malaysia.

Four of the five NJCU students and alumni who were recently named semi-finalists for the Fulbright U.S. Student Awards for 2016-2017 received the grants through this highly-competitive program. Three were awarded the English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Fulbright grant: Tasha Egalite, a graduate student in early childhood and special education will teach English in Laos; Jessica Coke ’16, History major, will teach in Taiwan; and Sinia Amanonce ’15, an English and Education major, will teach in the Czech Republic. Ivan de La Grange ’15, a geography/geoscience major, was awarded an even-more competitive research grant to focus on water purification in Indonesia.

Established by the United States Congress in 1946, the Fulbright Program is the largest international exchange program in the country, offering opportunities for students, teachers, scholars, and professionals to study, teach, lecture, and conduct research in more than 155 countries worldwide. Sponsored by the United States Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright program selects participants on the basis of academic merit and leadership potential.

Dr. Irma Maini, NJCU professor of English, is the Fulbright Program advisor at the University. To reach her, email:  [email protected]