Missing Student Found Dead

Shévanee Cesar

On Dec. 1, the body of Sarah Butler, 20, a full-time student here at NJCU, was discovered by detectives in an unspecified place within the Eagle Rock Reservation in West Orange.

Butler, a freshman studying Media Arts, was reported missing by family on Wednesday, Nov. 23, the day before Thanksgiving.

Eagle Rock Reservation is a forest reserve and recreational park expanding over 400 acres with extensive trails and undeveloped land. It has not been disclosed where within this Essex County park her remains were found.

The cause of death is pending until an autopsy is performed.

Butler’s death is currently under investigation. If you have any information, please call the prosecutor’s Tips Line at (877) 847-7432.

President Henderson released a statement on Dec. 2 saying that grief counseling is available to students at the NJCU Counseling Center in the Gilligan Student Union, Room 308. Henderson said Butler had been studying dance for more than 17 years as part of the Premiere Dance Theatre and had performed at the Apollo Theater, and at NJCU on 9/11. Henderson’s statement to the campus also said, “Her family noted that she loved to help younger students and dancers and was a devoted amateur makeup artist.  She was a member of the Montclair High School Dance Company, and was a lifeguard at the Montclair YMCA. Sarah touched many lives at the University and throughout the community, and we will remember her for the lasting legacy she leaves behind.”