An Unknown Gem on Campus

David Wilson

Featuring more than 10,000 books donated by publishers, the Jerry M. Weiss Center allows people at NJCU to borrow books for free. 

Located in Grossnickle, room 103, the center currently offers 3000 recently published books. While there is a large selection in the main office, more materials can be found at the other locations in Grossnickle: Room 124 has professional resources and audio/video collections, 126 has picture books and elementary literature, 127 has middle school and young adult literature, and 128 has select sets and series. 

With this variety of material, the center sees many education majors, professors, and students with children. Also, art students often stop in when given assignments on illustrations and illustrators. “Students are encouraged to come in and read. We have over 10,000 books in our collection.” said Dr. Lace S. Cassidy, Co-Director of the Center. While books can be borrowed for 28 days, you can renew a book in person or by phone if you would like to keep it longer. 

Recent additions include a mystery novel entitled “I Know You Remember” by Jennifer Donaldson, “Pumpkin Heads” by Rainbow Rowell and “A Stone Sat Still” by Brendan Wenzel. The centers selection spans from children’s books to young adults. New books are added frequently. 

Classes from the nearby University Academy Charter High School visit the center. In their recent visit UACHS students “were interested in reading realistic fiction, fantasy and graphic texts” said Cassidy. Cassidy and Lynn Zisa (Co-Director) work with classes from schools in the area and nearby communities as well. “We are open to the community, not just NJCU students” says Zisa.

The center was established in honor of Dr. Jerry M Weiss. Weiss was a professor of Communications at NJCU. Weiss was also a nationally recognized expert in the field of children’s and young adult literature. While supporting Weiss’ vision the center offers workshops, conferences and classroom activities.

The hours of operation are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Phone: 201-200-3548  

Email: [email protected]

Web: njcu.edu/mjwc