The student news site of New Jersey City University

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

Save the Youth!
Save the Youth!
Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month
Knight Student Media Trailer
Knight Student Media Trailer

McGreevey visits NJCU to discuss civil liberties, prison reform

By Katherine Guest —

In attempts to inform New Jersey City University (NJCU) students about civil unions, single sex marriages in NJ, and the 2013 U.S. Supreme Court decisions concerning the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and Prop 8, former NJ Governor Jim McGreevey made a grand appearance in the Gilligan Student Union Multipurpose Room on Nov. 12.

The co-sponsors of the event included the Department of Criminal Justice, the Department of Political Science, and the Department of Women’s & Gender Studies—amongst other departments.

“It gives me a great energy charge to be in a University setting…” said American Democratic politician McGreevey, 55, from Jersey City. Introducing himself he said, “I have the pleasure to work with Jersey City officials, [Mayor Fulop], for the prisoner re-entry program,” which enables an alternative option for former criminals to seek medical treatment, safe housing and employment training.

Initially, McGreevey came to NJCU’s campus as a guest representative of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision that Section 3 of DOMA, the interpretation of “spouse” relating only to a married man and women, is unconstitutional under the Fifth Amendment. However, during the Q&A styled event, students continued to question the re-entry program.

“I wish he would have discussed more in detail about DOMA and single sex marriage,” said Karen Mateus, 21, criminal justice major from North Bergen. Nonetheless, “It was a great, refreshing event and it was packed! We should have more politicians come to the University to discuss cases, statutes and anything else that is current.”

Dr. Fran Moran, political science professor, agreed political officials speaking at NJCU give the campus an inside perspective on outside affairs.

“One of the real advantages of going to this school is, because of the campus’s demographics, students have the educational opportunity to interact with our political leaders. As the campus without borders, we can extend the campus outside of NJCU’s boarders while bringing political officials inside,” said Dr. Moran.

During the brief event, McGreevey stabbed at the criminal justice system for enforcing a failed imprisonment business. Accordingly, the status quo of incarceration disables educational growth, sobriety, and work ethics. More specifically, drug addiction is prominent amongst women who are financially insufficient.

“American civil liberties should not be tied to financial means. Addiction is a disease. I want [women] to get treatment [because it’s] better than incarceration,” said McGreevey.

McGreevey’s divisionary program counsels women, in the Hudson County jail, through the use of moral code, labor repetition, and rehabilitation.

He continued, “Morality is based with what [people see]. Let’s help folks have choices that make sense. Someone once said, ‘You can’t change behavior by thinking, but you can change thinking by behavior.’”

Students and faculty members gave positive feedback of the co-sponsored event.

“Former Governor McGreevey’s passion for prisoner rights was enlightening and it highlighted an area of the criminal justice system that has been disregarded,” said Legal Analyst and Political Science Professor Karen De Soto.

Christian Corrales, 25, political science major from Jersey City, agreed with McGreevey’s lecturing style.

“We need more speakers like him, actually. I liked his Q&A approach rather than a normal lecture,” said Corrales. “He’s a passionate speaker. You have to give him that.”