The student news site of New Jersey City University

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

Save the Youth!
Save the Youth!
Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month
Knight Student Media Trailer
Knight Student Media Trailer
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Mimi Smith: Paving the way to feminist art

Mimi Smith, above, presaging the feminist artist movement, stands by her works, Slave Ready and Camouflage Maternity Dress. Photos by Victoria Rozario

By Armando Sultan–

Feminism as a term holds very emotionally charged opinions that range from excessively negative to excessively positive. However, many people misunderstand or are just ignorant to what feminism truly is. The true meaning of feminism is to equalize men and women, and I believe no one disagrees with that pursuit.

NJCU is currently displaying artwork by Mimi Smith, an acclaimed artist that has been doing artwork since the 60s, which was later categorized as “Feminist Art.” The name of the show is named “Constructing Art About Life.”

Smith graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in painting from Massachusetts College of Art, afterward she moved to New York City to start her art career. She than attended Douglas College, where the Rutgers MFA Program was located, and studied under legendary artists such as Roy Lichtenstien and Allan Kaprow. During this time, she becomes pregnant with her daughter, which sparked her inspiration for her art.

Smith takes everyday objects and combines to make dresses that make statements for the time she was living and even more so today. Girdle, done in 1966, is a designed to be a completely unusable undergarment that speaks to the constant pressures and restraints that women have to endure day in and day out. This piece is frightening and yet incredibly captivating, speaking directly to a society that is constantly reminding women they are not pretty enough or good enough unless they become more “aesthetically pleasing.” Camouflage Maternity Dress, art made in 2004, speaks about the complete exposure of being pregnant.

MimSmith_Pic2 CMYKThe art that Mimi Smith created was for connecting her art with her personal life, what was accomplished was later defined as feminist art. Art that speaks to obvious inequality for women then, and unfortunately, today. Mimi Smith explores serious issues such as equal pay, abortion, and the beauty misconception of women.

Mimi Smith’s show will be open until April 24. This reviewer believes all students and professors should view her work and reflect about what her work is saying. NJCU brought an acclaimed artists, that we as students and faculty should honor.