How to register to vote before the midterm election

Monica Sarmiento, Editor-in-Chief

October 16th is the very last day that New Jersey residents can register to vote in time for the upcoming November 6th Midterm Election. Want to take part in your civic duty and have a say in this pivotal election? Just read on.

Not sure if you’re registered? Check your registration status on Rock The Vote or on the NJ Department of State website.

How do you register? It takes 2 minutes to register at Vote.org. You can also fill out the form and print out a copy complete with the mailer to send out via post on Rock The Vote. New Jersey doesn’t allow online registration so you must submit in person or postmark your form by Tuesday, October 16.

Living on campus? Students attending college can use their campus address or remain registered at their permanent or home address. Remember, you may only be registered and vote in one location.

What do you need to register? You must be a U.S. citizen, at least 17 years old and a resident of the county you are registering in. You must be 18 years old to vote, however. Be sure to have your New Jersey driver’s license or ID number, or the last four digits of your Social Security Number ready.

Already registered but don’t know where to vote? Enter your address on the NJ Department of State website and find your Polling Place, Voting Area District and the County Election Official information

Don’t know how you can vote? There is more than one way:

By Mail

• NJ voters must submit an application for a mail ballot if they want to vote by mail.
  • The county clerk must receive applications for vote by mail ballots seven days before Election Day.
  • County election officials must receive vote by mail ballots by 8 p.m. on Election Day.

Election Day

• Voting sites will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by the closing time then you will be allowed to vote.

For more information on voter registration and voting you can visit the SPLC on Campus website or the Campus Vote Project.