Your vote matters on Nov. 6

Kenise Brown, Editor-in-Chief

Since his election, President Donald Trump and the majority Republican House and Senate have made moves targeting healthcare, immigration, taxes and more. On November 6, Americans have the opportunity to elect new representatives, senators and local officials in the midterm election, threatening Republican control.

According to the United States Election Project, nearly 47 percent of eligible voters did not vote in the 2016 election. In addition, the Pew Research Center found that the rate of black voter turnout declined for the first time in 20 years in a presidential election.

As a black female student, I am appalled to see that some people of my race did not vote in the presidential election. I’m disappointed to see that some of the people who protested in the streets for justice for their loved ones or those who consider a black person their “brother” or “sister” did not vote. People of color are among the most affected by the government’s decisions and in this year’s election they should be voting.

Geneva Wilson, chair of public relations for the College Democrats of NJCU, said “We believe that voting is one of, if not [the] most, important thing we can do as U.S. citizens. While we obviously believe that it is important to participate in the elections for President, it is crucial that people know that the midterms, or any time, for that matter, a Senate or House race may be occurring, we are informed on the issues and get out and vote.”

Wilson went on to say, “As many of us may already know, Senators and Representatives have no term limits, they can serve for as long as they get elected. If you want to actually see things start to change, or maybe some people want them to stay the same, it is extremely important that we are not under the impression that our votes do not matter.”

In this year’s midterm election, the people running have the opportunity to improve the country. Having democrats in office can also help citizens who could be facing a crisis if Trump attacks the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

The ACA, also known as Obamacare, affects many people especially senior citizens and millennials who are still included in their parent’s healthcare. About 12 million citizens are enrolled in the health insurance program.

During a recent appearance on the “Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” NJ Senator Cory Booker urged millennials to vote and said the cost of college education could be in jeopardy. Booker also warned that same-sex marriage laws could be overturned.

According to “USA Today” a “record number of lesbian, gay, and bisexual or transgender candidates are running for office.” More Democratic women are also running for office than ever before, many of whom want to stand against Trump and his sexism. They stand for equal pay and against sexual harassment. It’s very uncommon for women to have a voice in our government, which is another reason why it’s important to vote. We should not have a Congress controlled only by men.

Candidates such as Michigan State Rep. Rashida Tlaib, for example, the daughter of Palestinian immigrants, is the first Muslim woman ever elected to Michigan’s legislature and could soon become the first-ever Muslim congresswoman.

Voting in this year’s midterm election is one way to stand up for every victim in the U.S., including victims of sexual harassment and police brutality. Voting next month can help lead to justice for black lives, immigrants, women who have been traumatized and people who still receive backlash for loving whoever they want. People always complain about wishing and wanting things to change, but in order for that to happen we all must go out and vote.

Political Science Professor Francis Moran gives his thoughts on what the outcome on the midterm election could be. Moran said, “I think the democrats will get the majority of the House and the Senate. There’s a lot of women candidates. It creates a strong difference and impact in the country.”

Illustration courtesy of Darshan Chokshi. This story was originally printed in The Gothic Times, Issue 2 of Fall 2018.