Empowering Sexual Assault Victims

Flyer+for+the+Take+Back+The+%28K%29night+event+from+the+Speicher-Rubin+Women%E2%80%99s+Center+for+Equity+and+Diversity.+

Flyer for the Take Back The (K)night event from the Speicher-Rubin Women’s Center for Equity and Diversity.

Julie Marie Frances DeVoe, Copy Editor

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. From personal experience, being a victim of sexual assault has opened my eyes from a young age. It is traumatic and the memories do not go away despite working with a therapist. Before meeting my current therapist, I blamed myself for the sexual assaults instead of realizing that it was never my fault. Now, I advocate for sexual assault victims by finding resources to help other sexual assault victims so that they do not feel alone. It is important to know that if you are a victim of sexual assault, it is never your fault, and you did not deserve this.

According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), an American is sexually assaulted every 68 seconds. “1 in 6 women in the United States experienced completed or attempted rape in their lifetime.” Sexual assault can happen to anyone, “1 out of 10 rape victims are male.” Sexual assault victims from the age of 12 and up average 463,634 victims each year.

As a campus, we can help the victims of sexual assault by becoming more aware of the statistics and offering support to those who have been victimized. The Women’s Center will be hosting its 10th Annual Take Back the (K)night on Thursday, April 7th at 6 pm. The event will be held in GSUB Room 129. It will be held on-campus for the first time since 2019 when COVID-19 hit. Admission is free, and the event is open to the public.

I spoke with Venida Rodman-Jenkins, Director of the Speicher-Rubin Women’s Center for Equity and Diversity, who said that during Take Back the (K)night event, it will be “an evening of empowerment where we raise awareness about sexual violence prevention.” As the Campus Confidential Victim Advocate, Jenkins shares options with students who have been sexually assaulted to “help them make informed decisions about their next steps.”

If you are or know someone that has been a victim of sexual abuse, please call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or reach out to Venida Jenkins from the Women’s Center.