The student news site of New Jersey City University

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

Save the Youth!
Save the Youth!
Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month
Knight Student Media Trailer
Knight Student Media Trailer
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

New Initiative Aims to help NJCU Students

Lenny Williams
NJCU alumn Eduardo Alay (second-to-right) speaks about financial literacy during one of MOCI’s weekly meetings

According to the University of Texas, the more actively engaged students are more likely to achieve higher levels and persist in their classes. At NJCU, the students and administration organize an initiative to address this issue. Leonard “Lenny” Williams, a professor at the School of Business and the director of the Men of Color Initiative (MOCI), says that MOCI is, if anything, an initiative instead of a club or organization. He says that “when you hear the word initiative, it gives us the ability to assess and initiate things independently from student to student.” In the 2023 Fall semester, Lenny was hired to run the initiative, which at the time was still a concept.

MOCI’s initiative, according to Wiliams, is to make students of color more engaged on campus, build community, and graduate. They do this by collaborating with different offices, promotions from what Williams calls student ambassadors of the program, and inviting guest speakers like former students. Alexander Hernandez, a former writer for The Gothic Times, joined the program in his last semester. He said, “The program is very beneficial [Williams] helped me over the past few months, and it’s just a good time.” For updates and to be one of the 109 members already part of the initiative, follow MOCI’s Instagram @NJCU_MOCI.