The Gothic Times

NJCU Women’s Volleyball Notch a Win and Suffer Defeat in Seahawk Invitational

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kristen Hazzard, Sports Editor

NJCU Women’s Volleyball played in the Seahawk Invitational in Frederick, Maryland on September 14 and September 15.

On Day 1 of the Seahawk Invitational, the team faced St. Mary’s College of Maryland and Hood College on September 14. The Gothic Knights suffered upset in both matches. In match 1, the team couldn’t secure a win in any of the sets while in the second match, they played for five sets and only won two of them. The team loss 0-3 in match 1 and 2-3 in match 2.

On Day 2 of the invitational, the team faced the University of Valley Forge on September 15 for match 1. The Gothic Knights overcame two losses with an impressive win in the invitational. The team opened the first set with a kill and from there the team was out for redemption. In all three sets, the team managed to keep a tight score with Valley Forge. Amber O’Donnell collected eight kills while Shaylah Ware provided 23 assists. The team won 3-0 in match 1. In match 2, the Gothic Knights faced Alvernia University. The team encountered another tight game where their momentum was tested. They won the first two sets however lost the last three sets. Pamela Florimon collected 20 kills while Shaylah Ware provided 39 assists. The team loss 2-3 in match 2.

NJCU Women’s Volleyball team will face Montclair State University on September 18. Stay tuned here and on NJCU Gothic Knights for more information about NJCU Athletics.