The student news site of New Jersey City University

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

Save the Youth!
Save the Youth!
Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month
Knight Student Media Trailer
Knight Student Media Trailer
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Student Spotlight: Ariana Florez-Ortiz

Florez-Ortiz scores the winning goal at the NJCU v Rutgers-Camden game Source: Instagram

Ariana Florez-Ortiz is a sophomore playing with the Gothic Knights Women’s Soccer team.  

BG: Tell us a little about yourself

AFO: I grew up in Little Falls, NJ, and I’m a forward for the women’s soccer team. I plan on graduating in the 2026 Spring semester.

BG: What made you interested in soccer?

AFO: My mom introduced me to it when I was 5. Since then, I have started joining soccer camps daily.

BG: Who are your biggest influences?

AFO: My mom, especially because she raised me as a single parent. Megan Rapino is also one because, like me, she is part of the LGBT community.

BG: What is your most proud accomplishment playing as a Gothic Knight?

AFO: In October, during the Gothic Knights’ game against Rutgers, I scored the final goal. NJCU rose its rank from #9 to #4 in the NJAC (New Jersey Athletic Conference) Tournament. I was crying tears of happiness, and I felt like I was flying. To this day, that is the biggest game I’ve played.

BG: What has your experience been like on campus so far?

AFO: I honestly didn’t expect NJCU to be as welcoming as it was. When I was in high school, everyone bullied me and treated me differently than everyone else because I had a girlfriend. But here, I felt real. I was able to make friends with my classmates. Meeting new people helped me be the person I am today.

BG: Did your team help you become more comfortable with opening yourself up to new people?

Florez-Ortiz Source: NJCU Athletics

AFO: For sure! Meeting my teammates made me feel very comfortable talking to other people on campus without struggling

BG: You mentioned how your teammates treat you like family. Do you do any pre-game pep talks with them?

AFO: Yes there’s always a pep talk before every game. We huddle up together and talk about our objectives, and working hard on the field to give it all we’ve got.

BG: What advice would you give to someone who’s struggling to fit in like you did freshman or not?

AFO: I’d say to that person to ignore all of the negativity around them. Enjoy every moment you can because it goes by so fast. Life is too short to let people discourage you at what you’re best at

BG: What do you plan to do when you graduate?

AFO: That’s a tough one. I’d probably travel the world and start a business internship or entrepreneurship. I want to focus somewhere on economics.

You can keep up with information on the NJCU Women’s Soccer team and our other athletic teams by following @NJCUGothicKnights on Instagram or on NJCUGothicKnights.com