The student news site of New Jersey City University

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

The Gothic Times

Save the Youth!
Save the Youth!
Hispanic Heritage Month
Hispanic Heritage Month
Knight Student Media Trailer
Knight Student Media Trailer
Poll

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Anger Management Tips

Anger Management Tips
Adobe Stock

Anger is a common thing that affects college students, 25% according to a Gallup poll. “Being angry takes up so much mental energy, and it could cause you distress and affect others if you don’t know how to cope with it,” says Counseling Center director Danielle Bachant. One thing you can do is to be aware of your anger and anger symptoms. Even though anger can have different levels for people, symptoms can include headaches, fidgeting, and pacing. 

Here are some tips from Bachant to help with managing your anger:

• Visualize your anger using the anger thermometer – sometimes, having a visual can increase self-awareness and help us to develop strategies.

• Recognizing your triggers and warning signs (heavy breathing, sweating, shaking, etc.) can be another way to increase awareness and prevent things from escalating.

• Recognize that other feelings may be under anger’s surface. How are you? Sad? Overwhelmed? Tired? Anxious? Check-in with how you are really feeling! 

• Think of the consequences! For example, if you are angry at your partner, will arguing and yelling at them be beneficial? What problems might it cause? Will feelings be hurt? Be mindful of how your anger impacts those in your circle.

• Therapy! Enrolling can help you to learn more about emotional regulation, triggers, coping skills, and more.

• Develop good coping skills – my favorites are making art, listening to music, doing grounding exercises like the 54321 technique, and deep breathing.

• Exercise! Some find that a physical release is helpful for your mind and body.

• Walk away – sometimes, removing yourself from a triggering situation can help you to calm down and diffuse the situation.

• Remember, everyone feels angry. It is a normal emotion, but it is important to recognize how it impacts you and others around you.

If you’re feeling angry or stressed this semester or have been lately, book an appointment with the Counseling Center at room 308.