NJCU guest privileges reinstated in dorms

More stories from Monica Sarmiento

The restriction on building to building visits for NJCU residence halls (Vodra, Co-Op and West Campus Village) was lifted on Wednesday March 6. Visitation privileges for outside guest/non-residential students will resume after spring break on Monday, March 18.

The ban on all visitors in the residence halls came after last week’s shooting incident in a WCV dorm.

Tijahie M. Jacobus, 22, Ariel Fernandez, 22, and NJCU student Keyshawn Alexander, 22 were all arrested and charged for hindering. Alexander was also charged with tampering with evidence, according to city spokesperson Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione.

In an email sent to NJCU residents on Monday, March 5, Jennifer Luciano said, “Our first priority is the safety of all of our residents. As a student, it is your right to live in an environment that is free from any harm.  Remember the safety of our community is everyone’s responsibility and we need your assistance.  Please remember to scan your ID when entering the building, sign in your guests, and properly register your overnight guest.  This is vital to ensuring the residence halls are running effectively.”

All students and guests are required to scan their IDs to enter the building. “Please note that any resident found bringing in a guest through a side emergency door, any other door/venue other than the front entrance or without signing them in will be documented and will go through our conduct process.”

No more than two daytime guests are allowed in dorm rooms from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. They must return their visitors pass in exchange for their ID at the front desk at 11 p.m.

Overnight guests will not be permitted at the residence hall during the first two weeks after each semester begins without prior written permission from the NJCU Office of Housing & Residence Life. Overnight Guest Form must be completed by 5 p.m. the day of the visitor’s arrival. If the overnight is for the weekend, it must be submitted by 5 p.m. on Friday. Resident students have a total of 20 overnight guests for the Spring 2019 semester and are allowed two consecutive overnight passes per week.

“Any violations will result in removal of your guest from the residence hall and loss of guest privileges for the entire semester.”